A guide to the
EU Gender Ruling
What is the gender ruling and what does it mean for you?
On 21st December, a gender ruling by the
European Court of Justice (ECJ) comes into
effect that will radically change the way
insurance premiums are calculated.
Prior to this ruling, insurance underwriters
took a person's gender into account when
working out their risk so for example men under the age of 25 have higher accident rates than women of the same age, so their premiums were higher. Under the new ruling, no differentiation can be made on grounds of sex, all insurance policies must be 'gender-neutral'.
Changes at a glance:
- Insurers can no longer use gender as a factor when calculating 'risk'
- Men aged 17-25 could see a drop in premiums of up to 10%*
- Women aged 17-25 could see increases of up to 25%*
- Women's life insurance premiums will increase*
- Older drivers with no convictions will be least affected*
How will this affect me?
Unfortunately, there's only one way women's premiums are going as a result of this ruling, and that's up. According to the Association of British Insurers, female drivers can expect increases of up to 25%* while men's premiums will reduce by 10%. Of course, other factors such as your age, location, claims history, convictions and the model of car you drive all influence your premium. Drivers aged 17-25 will be affecte the most as the gender difference in this age group is the greatest*, for older, safer drivers the changes won't be as dramatic.
Historically men have paid more for life insurance than women. This is largely due to the fact that women live longer than men. The ECJ ruling prevents insurers from factoring this into their premiums, and new unisex policies will mean women's premium's will rise in line with men's.
Shop for the best price now!
We search a panel of UK insurers to bring you great cover at the cheapest price - many of the insurers we use can't be found on comparison sites. Get a quote today and see how much you can save.Car Insurance Quote Life Insurance Quote
Here to help
If you have any questions about how the EU Gender Ruling will affect you, pop into your local Swinton branch or call them on 0800 072 9018 and a member of our friendly team will be happy to help.Find your local branch
Drive it down
Want great discounts for being a safe driver?
The EU Gender ruling could mean that the cost of car insurance for young female drivers will increase significantly from 21st December.
One way to combat this could be to take out a telematics policy through Swinton. A telematics device is fitted to your car to monitor your driving and could help to reduce your premium for consistently safe drivers.
To find out more call us on
0800 954 2396Find out more Quote
In one quick call, we'll search our panel of quality UK insurers to bring you a great price plus £75 Cashback:
- FREE courtesy car on fully comprehensive policies**
- Up to 65% No Claims Discount
- Optional Drivers' Legal Protection
- First 3 months FREE on Breakdown Cover
Financial protection for your loved ones from just 17p per day plus £35 Cashback:
- Life Insurance - a cash lump sum for your family in the event of your death
- Income Protection - a monthly income following injury or illness
- Critical Illness - a cash lump sum following diagnosis of a critical illness
- Real Life Cover - combines 3 types of protection in 1 plan
Men v Women
Are women really the safer drivers?
We take a light-hearted look at the differences between male and female drivers and shatter some of the myths with our infograph.
*The use of gender in insurance pricing- research paper number 24, 01/03/2011