Public Liability Insurance

Call Swinton Business now on: 0800 588 4755 or get a quote online

Protect Your Business With Public Liability Cover.

Public Liability Insurance provides cover against claims made by members of the public who have sustained injuries or damage because of your business. If you come into contact with members of the public as part of the daily running of your business, you should consider Public Liability Insurance.

In fact, in some cases your customers will request to see or ask you to have Public Liability cover before you can begin working with them and if you don't have appropriate insurance then the time and costs of dealing with an incident should one unfortunately occur could have detrimental impact on the success and daily running of your business.

At Swinton Business, we have experience arranging Public Liability Insurance cover for a range of businesses across the UK- from builders to painters and decorators, to manufacturers and engineering businesses, we arrange cover for many varieties of job title and trade sectors.

Depending on your circumstances and the size of your business, Public Liability Insurance can be sold stand-alone or can often be included within other types of insurance such as Tradesman which can also provide Employer's Liability Cover to help with a claims should an employee of your business be injured.

For larger businesses Public Liability is often included within a Commercial Combined policy along with other types of protection relating Property Damage and Business Interruption.
Our UK-based team can help you find the right level of cover to suit your business, with cover from £1 million that can be extended as required. All you need to do is answer a few questions about your business, tell us which optional extras you need (such as Business Equipment Cover), and challenge Swinton Business for quote from our panel of insurers either via our online quote tool or call our team today.

What is Public Liability Insurance and what does it cover?

  • A Public Liability Insurance policy is a type of insurance cover that provides protection if a member of the public or a client was to become injured or to suffer from property damage as a result of your business. A customer or member of the public could claim if they were to slip or trip in a common accident caused by your business so having Public Liability Insurance can pay out for subsequent legal expenses or compensation in these scenarios.
  • A typical Public Liability Insurance policy will cover your business for 3rd party injury, or even death, compensation claim payments as well as potential repair or replacement costs for possessions or property that are damaged by your businesses actions or activity.

Do I need Public Liability Insurance? Is it a legal requirement?

Under UK law a Public Liability Insurance policy is not compulsory but in many cases a customer or client could request that you have cover in place before working with you. Furthermore having Public Liability Insurance may be an obligation of membership into a trade body or by your industry regulator so it may be enforceable by these means even if it isn't a law within the UK to have cover. For most businesses and industries it is prudent to have cover in place to be protected if the unexpected was to unfortunately happen.

Other areas to consider might be:

  • Frequency and extent of any contact with members of the public?
  • The types of activity and work you carry out in your business and how that could affect or impact customers or members of the public?
  • Could your business afford to pay any legal fees or a compensation pay out should a claim be made against you for injury or damage etc.?
  • Does your industry regulator or trade body require a minimum level of cover for membership?
  • Do your clients or customers require a minimum level before they will commission work with you?

It is important to ensure you select the right level of cover for your business needs so you don't have any nagging doubts on your cover once you start working with your customers or when you come into contact with members of the public.

Call us now or get a quote online:


How Swinton Business can help

At Swinton Business we can help arrange Public Liability policies as well as other Business Insurance products such as Professional Indemnity Insurance, Employers Liability Insurance, Business Equipment & Tools Insurance to ensure your business is covered should the unthinkable happens.

If you employ anyone else in your business then by law you will need to consider Employers' Liability Insurance by law to cover you against potential legal costs or compensation claims should any of your staff have an accident or become ill as a result of your negligence or the work they do for you.

Swinton Business can also arrange Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover you in the event of your work leading to a client losing money due to an error that you have made. For example if you're giving professional advice or a service to a customer which results in a financial loss to them this can help cover compensation required subject to the circumstances.

Depending on the type of business you run, Public Liability insurance can sometimes be included as part of other insurance policies, for example Commercial Combined Insurance, which covers a variety of risks in one packaged insurance policy with one renewal date.

Other ways we can help

As an addition to your cover you may also require Business Equipment Insurance which Swinton Business can arrange at one of four levels of cover up to £10,000 for equipment, including PCs and laptops used for business, that are away from your office or overnight in a vehicle.

When thinking about whether you need this cover there are a couple of things to consider – The maximum claim per item is £1,500 and while equipment or tools stolen from vehicles by forced entry is covered, this is only if items are not visible and your vehicle security devices are working and activated. The policy is underwritten by UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE.

If you have a commercial van or fleet of company vehicles then we can help arrange cover under one manageable policy. Swinton Business offer Fleet Insurance to protect two or more company vehicles or for Commercial Van Insurance covering vehicles up to 3.5t then contact our Swinton Van team.


Call us now on: 0800 588 4755 or get a quote online