Freelancers Insurance

Public Liability Insurance from as low as £43

10% of new customers paid £43 or less for annual Public Liability Insurance. Based on policies sold between 1st October 2018 and 31st March 2019.

Working as a contractor or freelancer offers great flexibility, opportunity and choice. It puts you in charge of how you work, the clients you work with and the industries you work in. So it’s important that while you juggle clients, move projects and change working environments, you also have the correct insurance for your small business.

If you visit client premises and provide professional services or advice, it’s a good idea to have Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance. In fact, many clients won’t hire you without one or both of these.

You can buy both Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance as stand-alone products or together in one policy, making life easier. Just one cost and one renewal date for the diary.

Public Liability for Freelancers

Public Liability Insurance is a standard cover for freelance contractors who visit or host clients, and covers you in case someone is injured or their property needs replacing or repairing due to your negligence. Public Liability, arranged through Swinton offers differing levels of cover, starting from £1 million and can be extended as required to protect you against the cost of a claim, should a mishap occur.

Professional Indemnity Insurance for Freelancers

As a freelancer who gives advice and undertakes project work for clients (perhaps you’re a graphic designer, accountant or IT consultant), Professional Indemnity Insurance covers you if your work leads to a client losing money because you’ve made an error. A miscalculation, missing trademark, copyright infringement or factual error can impact both the reputation and bottom line of an organisation. Having a Professional Indemnity Insurance policy gives your clients more confidence in your business and you peace of mind should the worst happen.

Do you employ anyone else in your business?

If you do, then you might have to hold Employers’ Liability Insurance by law. It’s an important type of business insurance, and covers you against the cost of legal fees or a compensation claim if one of your staff members has an accident or gets ill as a result of the work they do for you and your negligence.

Speak to our team on 0800 588 4755 if you would like to add Employers’ Liability Insurance  to your business protection plan.

Can I protect my business equipment?

Business equipment insurance can be taken as an optional extra with your main business insurance, such as Public Liability Insurance for Freelancers. There are four levels of cover up to £10,000 and you are covered for any equipment that is away from your base and overnight in a vehicle, and also covers PCs and Laptops used for business. 

A couple of things to consider – The maximum claim per item is £1,500 and while equipment or tools stolen from vehicles by forced entry is covered, this is only if items are not visible and your vehicle security devices are working and activated. Policy underwritten by UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE.

 Our phone lines are closed but you can get a quote online