Self-Employed Insurance

Going self-employed could be one of the best decisions you make for your career. But while you may be experienced in your chosen field, you might not be quite so confident with the types of insurance you need to cover all bases.

At Swinton, we aim to help people like you navigate the market, using our panel of specialist insurers to try and bring you a suitable quote for your business insurance. From artists to dance teachers, our friendly team is well-versed in providing insurance for self-employed professionals in a range of industries. Cover can be arranged from £1 million and can be extended if required.

How we can help

  • Public Liability Insurance – from £1 million, with options to extend if required
  • Employers Liability Insurance also available — £10 million as standard, but can be extended
  • Optional separate cover for tools or business equipment can also be arranged

Hair, beauty and fitness

Hairdressers’ Insurance

As a hairstylist, searching for hairdressers’ insurance may not be the most glamorous part of your job, but the cover it provides could be as useful to your business as your scissors.

At Swinton Business we realise that every hair salon is different, which is why we do our best to try and find a policy to suit the specific needs of your business. Whether you work as a freelance hairdresser, mobile hairdresser or barber, your cover can be adapted as your business grows or requirements change.

Our insurers provide cover for a variety of services available at hair salons, including (but not limited to) tinting, dyeing, bleaching and ear-piercing.

Beauty Therapist Insurance

The beauty therapist industry in the UK has flourished in recent years, with trade up and more therapists opening successful businesses. In fact, so strong is the demand for professional beauty therapy services that some salons have even gone 24/7.

But as new techniques and technologies become more widely adopted, and clients demand increasingly diverse treatments, it’s important that your Business Insurance protects you from unforeseen circumstances. Unforeseen events or accidents that involve the public can have a significant financial effect on your business.

At Swinton, we arrange insurance for beauty therapists, regardless of how you choose to work. You may freelance from home, own your own premises, visit people’s homes, or rent space in a studio: we’ll factor in your needs to try and get you a suitable quote.

Dance Teacher Insurance

Insurance for dance teachers can help protect you if someone you’re tutoring has an accident and makes a claim against you. Whether you teach ballet or Zumba, work from a studio or your own home, we make sure your business is protected should the unexpected happen.

At Swinton, we can try and help find insurance for dance teachers that protects you, your premises, your students, and any equipment you use for work, including laptops. We help arrange Public Liability Insurance for dance teachers with cover that can be arranged from £1 million and can be extended as required.

Fitness Instructor Insurance

As a fitness instructor or personal trainer, the health of your clients is your number-one priority. However, accidents can still happen, which is why you need to ensure you're protected from hefty legal costs in the event of a claim.

At Swinton Business, we arrange insurance for fitness instructors which aims to provide you with the level of protection you need.

Yoga Instructor’s Insurance

Liability Insurance for yoga instructors is simple to arrange through Swinton. We aim to help you find a protection package that fits how you work and gives you peace of mind that you have cover in the event of an accident or injury.

You might teach in a studio, at a client’s home or in the park, as a sole trader or limited company. Whichever way you choose to work, we aim to help you find a level of cover for your business, plus optional extras such as Business Equipment cover when you take out Public Liability. Depending on what you need and what’s suitable for how and where you work, we aim to help arrange various types of insurance for yoga instructors.


Artist Insurance

As an artist, your work may involve performances, workshops, galleries, open studios or commissions. If someone were to injure themselves during one of these public events, you could be held liable.

Swinton Business aims to help you find the right Public Liability Insurance to protect you from big payouts should a compensation claim be raised against you. That means you can focus on what’s most important — creating your next masterpiece.

Musician Insurance

As a musician, you can spend a lot of time performing in public, on stage during gigs and playing at special events. Whether you’re a solo artist or part of a band, it makes sense to ensure you’re protected if a member of the public is injured as a result of your performance, so you’re not tripped up by a hefty legal bill.

That’s when Liability Insurance could come in. In fact, following the introduction of the Public Entertainment Licence Act (PELA), many venues now insist you have a policy in place that covers up to £5 million.

At Swinton Business, we offer a range of commercial insurance products and aim to arrange cover that meets your needs.

Photographer Insurance

If you come into contact with the public during your work as a photographer, you may wish to consider Public Liability Insurance. If a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged as a result of your work — whether it’s falling lights or tripping over equipment — you could face an expensive compensation claim.

At Swinton Business, we aim to help you find the right Public Liability Insurance which will provide the cover you need to protect your business. Whether you work freelance or own a staffed studio, cover is flexible to suit your company’s needs.

Domestic services


If you’re a professional nanny, childcare assistant or childminder who cares for children under 17 — even just for a couple of hours a day — it’s a good idea to have an insurance policy in place that protects you and your business. Whether you’re a self-employed nanny at a residential property, or you run a private nursery with staff, we can try and help you find an insurance package that works for you.

Childcare and childminding insurance helps to protect you and members of the public. We can provide cover of up to £1 million if an accident or injury happens at work which you’re responsible for, which can be extended as required. For example, if a member of the public or a child injures themselves as a result of a slip or fall while under your supervision, or you damage a client’s property, they could claim compensation. And that can be costly.

At Swinton Business, we look to find a childminder insurance policy that protects you, your clients, and any equipment you use for work, including laptops.

Cleaner Insurance

From window cleaners working at heights to facilities teams working in commercial premises, there are a number of risks that you are exposed to on a daily basis in the cleaning industry. If legal action was taken against you or your business, the financial implications could be disastrous.

At Swinton Business, our team arranges insurance for the cleaning industry, so you can try and find the cover you need to protect your livelihood. You can tailor your policy to suit the current needs of your cleaning business, ensuring your reputation stays spotless.

Useful Links