Driving in the EU after Brexit

The UK leaves the EU on 29th March 2019. If you’re planning to drive in the EU and the European Economic Area (EEA) post-Brexit, here is what you might need to do.

It's important to note that some of the requirements in this article might change, depending on what terms are decided when the UK leaves the EU: You can view official Brexit updates from GOV.UK.


Can I drive in the EU after Brexit?

From 29th March 2019, UK driving licence holders may need to get an international driving permit (IDP) to drive abroad. If there is no EU Exit deal, UK drivers may also need extra documentation, as well as an IDP, to drive in the EU and EEA.

Find out more information about IDPs here.

Will UK driving licences be accepted in the EU after Brexit?

If you live in the EU or EEA and hold a UK driving licence, you’ll need to exchange it for a local EU driving licence before 29th March 2019 – you can do this here.

Remember to do this as soon as you can, as the closer it gets to 29th March 2019, the longer the processing times may be.

What about if I am planning to visit the UK? Can I drive?

When visiting the UK, you can drive on your EU licence.

What if I am returning to the UK to live?

You can exchange your EU licence for a UK one if you return to live in the UK, as long as you passed your test in the UK or another specified country.

What will happen to number plates?

As it is, a GB sign is used to identify cars registered in the UK when driving outside of the country.

Again, if there is no EU Exit deal, you might have to get a GB sticker to display on your car, even if it has a Euro-plate showing both the EU flag and a GB sign.

If your plate only features a GB sign and not the EU flag, you won’t need a GB sticker.

Autobahn signs

Do I still need to carry my vehicle registration documents in the EU?

If you’re driving your car in the EU or EEA for a holiday, or a period of time less than 12 months, you currently have to carry your vehicle registration documents with you. This could include your vehicle log book or a VE103.

If there is no EU Exit deal on the 29th March 2019, you should continue to travel with your vehicle registration documents when driving in the EU.

Will I need a green card to prove my car is insured?

Currently, drivers of cars registered in the UK do not need to carry a green card as proof that their vehicle is insured when driving in the EU, EEA, and other selected countries such as Switzerland.

In the event of ‘no deal’ on 29th March 2019, and there has been no decision made by the European Commission regarding checking for proof of insurance for UK-registered vehicles, you will need to carry a green card while driving in the EU and EEA. We'll be contacting all of our customers with instructions on how to obtain a green card, if 'no deal' becomes a reality.

Published 6th March 2019