What is car hire excess insurance?
Car Hire Excess Insurance is a type of insurance policy that covers you against excess charges of up to £6,500 if you need to make a claim on your hired vehicle. Without it, you may have to pay an excess charge to fix any damage.
With Car Hire Excess Insurance, we’ll make sure that you get your excess charge reimbursed if you have to make a claim in the UK, Isle of Man or EU.
We can offer you a quick quote for a single or annual multi-trip policy.
Why choose insurance4carhire at Swinton?
There are plenty of reasons to choose us for Car Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover — Cover excess up to the value of £6,500 in total per year.
- Add multiple drivers to the policy — Cover for up to seven additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover from single trip for up to 60 consecutive days, or annual multi-trip for individual trips up to 60 days at a time for up to 12 months.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, car keys, flat batteries, and even late pick-up charges due to delayed flights.
What’s covered by our Car Hire Excess Insurance?
- Excess insurance — Cover against excess costs of up to £6,500 in total, per year if your hire car is damaged or stolen.
- Drivers between 21 and 84 — Cover for a wide age range of drivers from 21 and 84.
- Covered in Europe — this includes countries like France, Spain and Germany, as well as some non-mainland countries & regions like Iceland, Madeira and the Azores.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to seven additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement.
- 60-day rental periods — Cover for up to 60 continuous days.
- Misfuelling and car key cover — Cover for each, up to £500 per claim and to a maximum total of £2,000 a year.
- Flat battery cover — Covers flat battery claims for up to a maximum of £250 per claim and £1,000 in any one Period of Insurance.
- Late pick-up charges — Cover up to £50 for late pick-up charges caused by unexpected flight delays.
- Excess cover for your courtesy car — Covers excess charges on any vehicle that’s loaned to you while your rental car is being repaired, or when your own car is in the garage and you’re given a courtesy car.
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess fees for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Provides reimbursement of the repair or replacement costs incurred under the rental agreement for damage to the windows, tyres, wheels, undercarriage, and roof of the rental vehicle.
- Personal effects and baggage cover — Cover for claims made on personal effects and baggage stolen from your hire car. £300 for any one claim, with a single item limit of £150.
What’s not covered?
- Car rentals where the Car Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental vehicle.
- Cars worth more than £120,000 or over 10 years old.
- Claims relating to off-road driving.
- Commercial vehicles, motorbikes, camper vans, mobile homes, vans, or any vehicle with more than nine seats. Visit our Van Hire Excess Insurance page for non-commercial van hire cover.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Most rental agreements include these but always check with your hire car company. If you’re interested in CDW and SLI cover, take a look at our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance plus CDW & SLI.
Single-trip vs Annual multi-trip policies
We know that car hire looks different for everyone, which is why we offer two different types of policy so you can choose the one that best suits you:
- Single-trip policies – We’ll cover you for a single trip, for up to 60 consecutive days. Great if you’re planning to rent a car on a one-off occasion.
- Annual multi-trip policies – We’ll cover you for multiple individual trips for up to 60 days at a time in the UK and EU, per year at a fixed cost. This is the most cost-effective option if you frequently hire cars for travel or commuting.
To arrange Car Hire Excess Insurance get a quote online
Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance
If you’re planning to drive further afield, our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance will reimburse excess charges up to a total of £6,500 on trips in North America, Asia, and more. Available for single and annual multi-trip policies.
Not all rental companies will offer you the same level of cover. You can choose our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance plus Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) & Supplemental Liability (SLI) policy to make sure you’re protected. You’ll receive:
Can I get UK Hire Excess Insurance for a van too?
Yes, we also provide excess insurance for vans. If your van is damaged or stolen, we’ll cover excess charges of up to £6,500 when you take out daily cover for single trips.
Our Van Hire Excess Insurance is available for all non-commercial van rentals in the UK and Isle of Man only.