Accidental Damage Cover

Accidental Damage is cover you can buy on top of your standard home insurance, which can enable you to claim for accidental damage to your house or belongings.

There are two types to choose from:

Buildings Accidental Damage

Add accidental damage to buildings insurance to cover against:

  • Drilling through a water pipe in the wall
  • Putting your foot through a ceiling
  • Putting a spade through a drain or pipe


Contents Accidental Damage

This covers against the cost of most accidents that damage your belongings, such as sofas and carpets. Some examples of the kind of accident you might be covered for are:

  • Spills across your carpet
  • Dropping your tablet or laptop
  • A smashed ornament or vase

Note that accidents are only covered if they happen inside your home unless you have additional personal possessions cover, in which case items like your mobile phone and bicycle could be covered outside of the home.




Does accidental damage cover include accidents caused by children?

Children can sometimes be mischievous in the home, think spilling paint on the carpet or knocking over the TV. With Contents Accidental Damage protection, parents are likely to be covered for the repair fees.

What isn't usually covered in Accidental Damage cover?

  • General wear and tear
  • Deliberate acts of damage
  • Electrical equipment that stops working for no reason
  • Damage caused by pets
  • Accidental damage to things taken outside of the home, unless you have taken out cover for this

What if I make a mistake doing DIY?

With buildings accidental damage cover, it’s likely that you’ll be able to make a claim if you make a DIY mistake, such as drilling through a water pipe or electric wire.

Find out more about Home Insurance through Swinton...

Related articles

Looking for something else?