What do you need to take with you


If you’re a full UK Driving Licence holder aged 18 or over you can drive in Spain. And if you’ve already set aside your passport, driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5C), motor insurance certificate and travel insurance documents, you’re almost ready to take to the roads in Spain. Additionally, here is a handy checklist to consider whilst preparing for your trip to Spain.




Reflective jacket - Chaleco reflectante

When immobilised at the side of motorways and busy roads it's necessary to wear a reflective jacket if you and any passengers exit the car.


Warning triangle - Triangulo de advertencia

You’re required to carry a warning triangle by law, for non-Spanish registered vehicles. In the event of a breakdown or incident, this is an easy way to warn approaching traffic.


Spare tyre - SU spar

It’s compulsory to carry a spare tyre, plus the appropriate equipment to change it or repair it.


Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) - Tarjeta Sanitaria global

It’s well worth carrying your Global Health Insurance Card with you as it gives you access to state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced rate, or on some occasions for free. It shouldn’t substitute for travel insurance but can make life easier in the event of the unexpected.


Europlate or GB sticker - Euro Plate

If you’re driving a British vehicle make sure you display a GB sticker if you don’t have a Europlate. If not, you run the risk of being stopped and issued with a fine.


Headlamp converters - Les unidades de conversion luz de cruce

When driving on the opposite side of the road all vehicle headlights will cause dazzle. Therefore, it’s essential your lights are adjusted as failing to do so can pose a risk and could invalidate your insurance. This is simple to do with headlamp converter kits, or if you’re unsure speak to your car dealer for assistance.




Check Your Car Insurance Policy

Be sure to find out the level of cover your car insurance policy will give you in Spain. Your policy should offer at least the minimum cover needed by law to drive in the country, however, in some cases it will be the same as you receive in the UK. If you only have minimal coverage and would like more, speak to your provider as this can usually be provided for a fee, or sometimes for free. Take a look at your policy documents to see which countries you’re covered in, or speak to your provider for more details.


sat-nav-1160x400 (1)


Sat nav

Many motorists wouldn’t dream of setting off on a long journey without their sat nav. They can certainly prove extremely useful in helping you get from A to B, especially when you’re not exactly sure where B is!

Before taking your sat nav to Spain, consider the following…

  • Make sure it has the appropriate information relating to Spanish roads. If you’re unsure, it’s worth consulting the manual or speaking to the manufacturer to find out how this information can be added.
  • Speed camera detectors are illegal across most of Europe, however, systems offering databases of known fixed camera locations are fine. To be on the safe side it’s worth disabling any radar detector feature on your sat nav. If you have an inbuilt system with this feature, the vehicle manufacturer should be your first point of contact.


Spain Driving - Pocket Guide


family with young child on tropical beach with palm trees

Swinton Travel Insurance

Explore our online exclusive single trip and annual multi-trip travel insurance policies and build a quote to suit you.

Explore your options

Insurance from Swinton and Safeguard

Driving abroad

Be sure to check out our other driving abroad guides:

Looking for something else?

Click to share


More about driving in Spain