What is Temporary Car Insurance?
Temporary Car Insurance, also known as ‘Short-term Car Insurance’, provides you with temporary cover for driving a car.
What is Temporary Car Insurance designed for?
Temporary insurance is ideal for various scenarios in which you need car insurance in place, but don’t require a full annual policy, such as:
- Learner drivers and students — If you’re learning to drive, taking out a temporary policy to cover you during your lessons will probably be a lot cheaper than a full policy.
- Short-term insurance for new drivers — If you’ve just passed your driving test, getting temporary cover is a great way to get you on the road quickly while you search for a long-term insurance policy.
- Young drivers — If you’re under 21 and only drive a friend or family member’s car outside of term time, getting temporary cover in the summer months is an affordable option. Alternatively, you might consider a Young Driver’s Insurance policy.
- Emergency car insurance — If there’s an emergency and you need to use a car, you can quickly cover yourself just for the day.
How does Temporary Car Insurance work?
Temporary Car Insurance is a policy that runs separately to the main car insurance policy
A key benefit of choosing standalone Temporary Insurance is that in the event of a claim the main insurance on the vehicle remains unaffected including any No Claims Discount.
What does a Temporary Car Insurance policy cover?
Temporary Car Insurance covers you for things like:
- Damage to your car
- Loss by fire or theft
- Repairs to your car
Who provides Temporary Car Insurance?
Standard Temporary Cover is provided by Tempcover Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No: 746985.
If you get a standard temporary quote, you’ll be directed to Tempcover Limited, who'll arrange your quote and provide your short-term insurance policy. Their terms and conditions will therefore apply.
Temporary student and learner driver cover is provided by Marmalade.
If you get a quote for temporary student cover or temporary learner driver cover, you’ll be directed to Marmalade, who'll arrange your quote and provide your short term student or learner driver cover. Their terms and conditions will apply.
Marmalade is a trading style of Young Marmalade Limited. Young Marmalade Limited is an Appointed Representative of Provisional Marmalade, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under Firm Reference Number 542063.
How long can my Temporary Car Insurance policy last for?
There are many options available for short-term insurance that last anywhere between one day to six months. What you choose will depend on your needs.
- One-hour car insurance — Get cover for as little as one hour at a time. Ideal for emergency cover and test drives.
- One-day car insurance — Take out cover for just 24 hours. Ideal for long journeys where you’ll be sharing the drive or days when you need to borrow a car at short notice.
- Weekly car insurance — Cover yourself for a few days at a time. Ideal for road trips and learner drivers looking to increase their road time ahead of their test.
- One-month car insurance — Get insured for up to 28 days. Ideal for borrowing a friend’s car for a short period.
- Learner driver car insurance — This can cover you from 30 days to six months.
- Student driver car insurance — This can cover you from seven to 42 days.
If you need to stay insured for any longer, you may benefit from one of our standard car insurance policies instead.