What is Temporary Car Insurance?
Temporary Car Insurance, also known as ‘Short-term Car Insurance’, provides you with temporary cover for driving a car. Typically, Temporary Car Insurance lasts between 1 and 28 days.
What is Temporary Car Insurance designed for?
Temporary insurance is ideal for various scenarios in which you need car insurance in place, but don’t require a full annual policy, such as:
- Learner drivers — If you’re learning to drive, taking out a temporary policy to cover you during your lessons will probably be a lot cheaper than a full policy.
- Short-term insurance for new drivers — If you’ve just passed your driving test, getting temporary cover is a great way to get you on the road quickly while you search for a long-term insurance policy..
- Young drivers and students — If you’re under 21 and only drive a friend or family member’s car outside of term time, getting temporary cover in the summer months is an affordable option. Alternatively, you might consider a Young Driver’s Insurance policy.
- Emergency car insurance — If there’s an emergency and you need to use a car, you can quickly cover yourself just for the day.
How does Temporary Car Insurance work?
Temporary Car Insurance is a policy that runs separately to the main car insurance policy
A key benefit of choosing standalone Temporary Insurance is that in the event of a claim the main insurance on the vehicle remains unaffected including any No Claims Discount.
What does a Swinton Temporary Car Insurance policy cover?
With Swinton, you’ll get immediate comprehensive cover when you take out a Temporary Car Insurance policy. That means you’ll be covered for things like:
- Damage to your car
- Loss by fire or theft
- Repairs to your car
Does Swinton provide the cover directly?
When you choose Swinton, we act as an introducer to Temporary Cover Limited who will arrange your short-term insurance.
If you click to get a quote, you’ll be directed to Temporary Cover Limited, who will arrange your quote and provide your short-term insurance policy. Their terms and conditions will therefore apply.
How long can my Temporary Car Insurance policy last for?
With Swinton, you can get short-term cover that lasts anywhere between one day to 90 days. What you choose will depend on your needs.
- One-hour car insurance — Get cover for as little as one hour at a time. Ideal for emergency cover and test drives.
- One-day car insurance — Take out cover for just 24 hours. Ideal for long journeys where you’ll be sharing the drive or days when you need to borrow a car at short notice.
- Weekly car insurance — Cover yourself for a few days at a time. Ideal for road trips and learner drivers looking to increase their road time ahead of their test.
- One-month car insurance — Get insured for up to 28 days. Ideal for borrowing a friend’s car for a short period.
- 30-90 day Learner Driver Insurance — Learner Drivers can get up to 90 days cover to prepare for their test
If you need to stay insured for any longer than 28 days, you may benefit from one of our standard car insurance policies instead.
Temporary Car Insurance FAQs
What is the minimum age for a Temporary Insurance policy?
Will Temporary Insurance affect my No Claims Bonus?
Can I get short-term insurance if I have points on my license?
How much does Temporary Car Insurance cost?
What is NOT covered by Temporary Car Insurance?
There are a few exemptions to our Temporary Car Insurance policies, including (but not limited to):
- Hire rental or loan vehicles
- Vehicles used in connection with trade (e.g. taxis, couriers, and racing)
- Impounded vehicles
- Modified vehicles
- Left-hand drive vehicles