Why choose Swinton for your Moped Insurance policy.

If you own a moped and are looking to use it as your primary mode of transport or for recreational purposes, our friendly and helpful team can help you purchase a Motorbike Insurance policy specific to your moped needs.


We cover a wide range of moped including:

  • Classic (pre-1990)
  • Import
  • Sports/off-road/commuter
  • Twist & go
  • Geared

We always work hard to find suitable deals for our customers, so why not see if we can help you.

We have access to a panel of UK bike insurers so we're able to compare a range of quotes to give you the lowest price we get back from them - even if you're a new or young rider with zero no claims bonus. In addition to Moped Insurance, we also offer Scooter Insurance.

Get a Bike Insurance quote your way

Online quote 0333 035 9480

Types of Moped Insurance

Moped Insurance cover ranges from third party to comprehensive. Third party Moped Insurance covers you for any damage or injury you cause to another person, vehicle or property. Third party, fire and theft provides extra protection against fire damage and theft of your moped. Comprehensive bike cover includes all of the above plus cover for damage to you and your own moped.


How can I lower the cost of Moped Insurance?

You can lower the cost of your Moped Insurance by ensuring the vehicle is properly secured, preferably with an approved alarm and parked in a protected area. Choosing a higher voluntary excess or purchasing Moped Insurance may also help to reduce the cost of your Bike Insurance policy.


Why do I need to insure a moped?

It is a legal requirement to insure your moped if you are the registered keeper and use your moped on all roads and in public places. If your vehicle is not insured and you haven’t declared it as off the road (SORN - Statutory Off Road Notification) then you could face a £100 fixed penalty, court prosecution and a £1000 fine and have your moped confiscated.

Find out how to register your vehicle as off the road.


What is the difference between a moped and a scooter?

The main difference between a moped and a scooter is engine size. A moped engine is usually no bigger than 50cc whereas scooters tend to have bigger engines between 50cc and 400cc. You can ride a moped from the age of 16 due to its small engine size and subject to you having the correct licence and training. You can ride a scooter with an engine up to the size of 125cc from the age of 17.

How can we help you?

Bike insurance to suit your needs