Landlord Insurance

Choose from a wide variety of cover options from our specially-selected panel of insurers, and get a suitable deal for your property with a direct quote today.

Call us now for a Landlord Insurance quote: 0333 035 9524

At Swinton, we understand that being a landlord comes with many responsibilities and unforeseen risks. Whether you're renting out a second home or you have a more extensive property portfolio, you'll appreciate the importance of ensuring your investment is safely protected.

Our knowledgeable team has a wealth of experience, and will work hard to find you a quote from our wide panel of insurers. Give us a call today to see what we can do for you.

Compare Landlord Insurance

We'll compare Landlord Insurance quotes from our key panel of insurers, saving you valuable time. From urban apartments to semi-detached houses, whatever type of property you’re looking to insure, we’re here to help: Our flexible insurance panel can cater for all sorts of specific needs, so you’ll only pay for what you need.

What is Landlord Insurance?

If you’re renting out a property, Landlord Insurance is a must. It’ll cover you for any financial losses you incur due to theft, vandalism, fire and flooding, plus you can protect against things like breakages and spillages with optional Contents Insurance cover. Other optional extras are available, and we’re here to tailor your policy to suit you. 

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

While Landlord Insurance isn’t a legal requirement, a normal Home Insurance policy wouldn’t cover your property if it’s being rented out to paying tenants. Plus, if you have a buy-to-let mortgage, your lender will most likely have the condition that you have dedicated Landlord Insurance in place.

When it comes to who pays for Buildings Insurance, landlord or tenant, this should be your responsibility – again, while Landlord Insurance isn’t mandatory, you should consider getting Buildings Insurance at the very least. In the long run, it’s a relatively small price to pay to protect you against potentially huge costs in the future.

What information do I need?

Before you can get a Landlord Insurance quote, you should know your property value as well as its rebuild value – note that these two things are commonly confused, and the rebuild value is how much it would cost to completely rebuild your property from scratch.

Get in touch with the Landlord Insurance team today:

0333 035 9524 Get a quote online

We do all the hard work for you

Types of Landlord Insurance

Commercial Property Insurance

If you own a property that’s used for business purposes, purchasing Commercial Property Insurance can help protect your investment from a range of risks. With a policy from Swinton, you can add Property Owners’ Liability Insurance, offering cover from £1 million (can be extended), Employers’ Liability Insurance if required, and more – our team will be happy to give you more information over the phone.

Buy-to-let Insurance

If you’ve specifically purchased a property with the intention of renting it out, we can help you find the right level of Buy-to-let Insurance to suit your needs. We can offer Employers’ Liability Insurance up to £10 million as standard, along with other options such as accidental damage cover and cover extension for multiple properties. Chat to us for more details.

Landlords Legal Protection

If you rent out a property or you have a property portfolio, Landlords Legal Protection can help protect your investment. There are a number of risks involved with being a landlord, and Landlords Legal Protection will cover the cost of legal fees for things such as tenant eviction, tax disputes and criminal prosecution defence related to the property.

What does Landlord Insurance cover include?

At Swinton, we aim to offer you a bespoke Landlord Insurance policy with all the elements you need to suit your needs. As standard, our Landlord Insurance cover includes the following:

  • Unoccupied properties covered up to 60 days
  • Protection against a wide range of perils, including – but not limited to – fire, storm, flood and landslip
  • Flexibility to include/exclude subsidence cover 
  • 24-hour claims assistance, 365 days a year
You can choose the option of Buildings Insurance, Contents Insurance or combined, and we can provide cover for a variety of tenants, including students and DSS.

Plus, ask us about some of these additional cover options:

  • Alternative accommodation
  • Theft of keys
  • Malicious damage caused by tenants
  • Accidental damage
  • Holiday home cover
  • Landlords content cover
  • Land cover
  • Landlord Legal Protection is available

Reasons to choose Swinton for your Landlord Insurance

At Swinton, we have been providing insurance for over 60 years, and Landlord Insurance specifically for over 15 years. Our UK-based team is here to support you whenever you need us, and we work closely with our carefully-selected panel of insurers to find you your policy.

If you have more than one property, we can help you insure all of them with one simple policy, giving you one easy renewal date that’s easier to manage. Plus, we can offer lower rates on multiple properties.

Getting a quote with Swinton Insurance

It’s simple and straightforward to get a Landlord Insurance quote from Swinton. Just give us a call, and our friendly and helpful team will guide you through the process. Here’s what you can expect when you speak to us:


Tell us about your property

From the year it was built to its rebuild value, we want to know all there is to know about the property you’re looking to insure. Multiple properties? We need the same information for each one.


Tell us about you

As well as standard details like your full name, date of birth and address, we also need to know about your history as a landlord, including your claims history.


Who will your tenants be?

As a landlord, you’ll obviously want your property to be in safe hands, so it’s worth thinking about the following:

  • Financial status: Are they employed, claiming housing benefits (DSS) or studying?
  • Lifestyle: Do they smoke? What sort of hours do they keep?

Get in touch with the Landlord Insurance team today:

0333 035 9524 Get a quote online

We do all the hard work for you

How to cut the cost of Landlord Insurance

While it’s tricky to give definitive advice on how you can get cheaper Landlord Insurance, there are some tips that may result in a reduced insurance cost. It’s important to remember that the cheapest Landlord Insurance policy isn’t necessarily the best option for you.

With this in mind, how can you cut the cost?

Choose the right insurer

It’s a big world of insurers out there, even for something fairly niche like Landlord Insurance. Finding the right policy for your needs can be confusing and time-consuming, which is why the team here at Swinton is here to help: We’ll do the shopping around for you, and return suitable policies from our panel of insurers.

Combine your policies

When it comes to Landlord Insurance, there are several things you’ll need cover for, including buildings and contents, plus accidental damage cover and liability insurance. By packaging up these elements into one policy, you may get better value for money. Plus, if you own several properties, you’re likely to get a better quote if you insure with one company. Speak to our dedicated team to learn more.

Strengthen your security

A secure house is a happier house, and ensuring your property is fitted with appropriate locks and both an adequate burglar and fire alarm system will help to reduce the risk of a break-in or fire, in turn reducing the cost of your insurance policy.

Remember the additional costs that may arise in the wake of a crime e.g. paying excesses and loss of no-claims – by having decent security, you’re reducing the risk of dealing with that. Plus, you may see a positive effect on your premium if your property is in a Neighbourhood Watch area, so make sure you check if it is.


Don’t underestimate your property’s rebuild value

We’ve already mentioned that this is one of the key pieces of information we need before giving you a quote for Landlord Insurance:

  • By underestimating it, you could have to pay the difference should the worst happen.
  • By overestimating it, you could be paying more than you need to for your insurance.

Don’t forget that the rebuild value isn’t the market value of your property – it’s the cost of completely rebuilding it from scratch (but excludes any land costs).

Think about whether you need Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance isn’t just for personal possessions/belongings – it’s also for things like white goods, flooring, curtains… Basically anything that can be moved out of the property. If your property has any of these, or any element of ‘furnishing’, you should think about purchasing Contents Insurance, especially if they’re of any real value. Weigh up the cost of potentially having to replace these items vs the cost of the cover.

Be mindful of unoccupancy

Between tenants, you might find that your property is unoccupied for a length of time. Be careful with this: Due to an increased risk of burglary and vandalism, some insurers won’t cover a property that’s been sat empty for over 30 consecutive days. With Swinton, your unoccupied property will be covered for up to 60 days as standard.

If you’re in a situation where you think your property may be unoccupied for a long time, you’ll need to consider taking out additional cover, or your policy may be void.

Think about potential tenants

As we’ve mentioned, we need to know what type of tenants you’ll be taking on, in order to give you an accurate quote. Some tenants are deemed a higher risk than others, such as DSS tenants and students, and policies allowing for these demographics will be more expensive overall.

Generally speaking, it’s more straightforward – and cheaper – to rent your property out to working professionals, but you should always do your background checks.


FAQs about Landlord Insurance

What's my rebuild cost and where can I find it?

The rebuild cost of your property is how much it’d cost to completely rebuild it from scratch – you can calculate the rebuild cost here.

What does Landlord Legal Expenses cover me for?

Adding Landlord Legal Expenses to your policy will help you deal with any legal disputes you might encounter in connection to your property, such as having to pursue rent arrears, a tenant not paying council tax, or a claim against you due to an outdated gas certificate etc.

Do you cover properties that have tenants in receipt of benefits?

Yes, we can provide cover for a wide selection of tenants, including those receiving benefits.

Do you insure unoccupied properties?

Yes, we cover unoccupied properties for up to 60 days as standard. 

What does the policy not cover?

What’s included in a Landlord Insurance policy depends on the individual insurer – for further details, talk to our team today

Won’t ordinary home insurance be enough to cover my rental property?

No – regular Home Insurance will not cover your property if it is occupied by paying tenants.

What is Property Owners’ Liability Insurance?

If an accident happened at your property causing injury to your tenants, having the right level of Liability Insurance in place will help you cover the cost of any damages or legal fees you may need to pay out, should a claim be made against you.

Is normal Buildings Insurance the same as Landlord Insurance?

Normal Buildings Insurance is different to Landlord Insurance because standard buildings policies are designed for properties that are lived in by the policy holder and their family. A regular Buildings Insurance policy would likely be voided if you were found to be renting out your property.

Do I need Landlord Insurance if my family are living in the property?

If your immediate family is living in the property, not paying rent, and there isn’t a tenancy agreement in place, then a normal household policy would be sufficient.