Scooter Insurance through Swinton

Swinton Motorbike Insurance includes access to a panel of UK insurers and a range of scooter policies. From retro and classic scooters to imports and maxi-scooters, we'll aim to find a policy for you - even if you have zero No Claims Bonus.


Types of Scooter Insurance

There are various types of scooter, each with different insurance needs. Swinton can offer cover for a wide range of scooters including retro, classic, import and maxi scooter (250cc-plus scooters). It takes next to no time to get your quote, so challenge us to try and help you find a suitable policy for your scooter today.


Why consider Swinton for your Bike Insurance policy?

At Swinton, our dedicated Bike Insurance team aims to help you find a suitable policy by comparing quotes from a panel of motorcycle insurers for a range of motorbike makes and models.

  • We'll compare quotes from a panel of specially selected UK motorbike insurers
  • European cover included as standard - up to 90 days per year and 30 days per trip
  • Cover up to four motorbikes on one Multi-bike Insurance policy

Get a Bike Insurance quote your way

Online quote  0333 035 9480

Do you need insurance for scooters?

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have insurance if you own or ride a scooter. If you hold a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) then you won’t require insurance. However, if you have not declared your scooter as ‘off the road’ then you are required to insure your scooter even if it is not in use.

What type of insurance do I need for my scooter?

Third party insurance will cover you for any damage you may cause to another person’s property. Third party, fire and theft will extend cover to protect your bike from fire damage and theft. If you need additional cover and want to protect your own scooter from accidental damage, vandalism, fire, and theft, then you may want to consider comprehensive cover, all of which Swinton can offer.

How might I be able to save on my Scooter Insurance?

You could save money on your Scooter Insurance if you have an advanced motorbike qualification which can be gained by taking an advanced riding course. Some insurers take this as a sign that you’re a more competent biker, however, not all insurers use this to assess risk. This means it won’t always affect your price, so check before you sign up to a course.

What is the difference between a scooter and a moped?

The key difference between a moped and a scooter is the size of the engine. A standard moped engine is normally 50cc whereas scooter engines tend to be between 50cc and 400cc. If qualified, you can ride a moped from the age of 16 and a scooter with an engine up to the size of 125cc from the age of 17.

Do you need a licence to drive a scooter?

The minimum requirement for riding a 125cc scooter is a provisional licence with a compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate. As there are different groups of motorbike, you will need to make sure you have the relevant entitlement on your licence and meet age requirements. Find out more about legal requirements when riding a bike.

How can we help you?

Bike insurance to suit your needs