Motorbike Insurance from Swinton
We understand just how important your bike is to you, and that you'll want to protect it with a specialist company that knows its stuff.
Why choose Swinton for your Bike Insurance policy?
At Swinton, our dedicated Bike Insurance team will help you find the a suitable deal, by comparing quotes from a panel of motorcycle insurers. We'll give you the lowest price we get back from them for a range of motorbike makes and models.
- We'll compare quotes from a panel of specially-selected UK motorbike insurers
- European cover included as standard - up to 90 days per year and 30 days per trip
- Cover up to four motorbikes on one Multi-bike Insurance policy
Motorcycle Industry Association Members
What types of motorcycles can we insure?
As Motorbike Insurance specialists, we've come across all different types of bikes! Whatever type of bike you own, there's a good chance we'll be able to cover it:
Looking for specialist motorbike insurance?
Optional cover for motorbike policies
Getting out on the open road is one of the best feelings for a motorcyclist, and the last thing you want is to be worrying about your bike breaking down.
That’s why we offer Motorcycle Breakdown Cover, to give you the reassurance you need, should you suffer a flat battery or a puncture while out riding.
We also offer additional cover options such as Riders’ Legal Protection, Helmet and Leathers Cover and Excess Protection.
Lowering the cost of your Motorbike Insurance
How can you lower the cost of insuring your motorcycle?
Consider getting a riding qualification
Taking an advanced riding course will not only make you a better biker, it may also bring your premium down. It's worth noting that not all advanced motorbike qualifications are recognised by insurers, so check with us beforehand to see if you'll benefit from doing it.
What sort of qualifications are available?
- IAM RoadSmart Advanced Rider Course: IAM RoadSmart is a charity aiming to improve the skills of motorcyclists and drivers throughout the UK. Its Advanced Rider Course will help you gain confidence on the road, and become a better rider in various circumstances and environments. Learn more about IAM RoadSmart, along with some top motorbike road safety tips.
- BikeSafe Certificate: Led by the police, Bike Safe is an advisory that encourages “positive rider behaviour and attitudes”, helping you to become a better and safer rider.
- RoSPA Advanced Motorcycle Training: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents’ training course teaches motorcyclists the theory and practice of safe, responsible riding.
FAQs about Motorbike Insurance
Do you offer multi-bike cover? How does it work?
Yes, we offer Multi-bike Insurance at Swinton. If you already have one motorbike insured with us, we’ll give you a discount when you insure any extra bikes. With the added convenience of all your bikes being on one policy and only having to think about your renewal once a year, it’s easy to see why a multi-bike policy is an attractive option.
Do you cover electric bikes and pushbikes?
The number of electric bikes in the UK is still quite small, so finding insurance isn't always easy. Whether you use your electric bike to commute to work, or as an inner-city run-around, at Swinton we understand the appeal of a more economical and environmentally friendly option, and we can try to help you arrange Electric Bike Insurance.
Pushbikes have a similar appeal, and can be used for both transport and leisure. At Swinton, bicycles are covered on both our Classic and Premier Home Insurance options – find out more here.
Do you offer cover to ride other bikes? How does this work?
You can opt to add Riding Other Bikes as a feature and benefit of your policy, subject to certain criteria being met. This is always on a Third Party only basis, i.e. for vehicles not owned, hired or leased by the policyholder, and, of course, with the bike owner's permission.
Can you insure me if the owner of the bike is not the policyholder?
While we do have insurers on our panel who can offer cover to policyholders where the motorcycle is owned by their spouse or civil partner, we do not currently offer cover for any other situation where the owner and keeper of the bike is not the policyholder.
Do you cover modified motorbikes? What are acceptable/unacceptable mods?
Yes – we have a list of acceptable modifications which have all been approved by our panel of insurers, and do not need to be disclosed when purchasing your Motorbike Insurance policy. There are also some that you will need to notify us about, but are also acceptable, so rest assured that we can cater for the majority of bike modifications. An example of an unacceptable modification is an engine mod resulting in a change of the bike's cc.
Do we offer short-term cover for motorbikes?
We don't currently offer short-term insurance for bikes.
Ensure your motorbike is secure
- Mark up: Mark your motorcycle with security marks and information, using a UV pen. It'll put off thieves, and in the unfortunate event your bike is stolen, it will help the police.
- Park up: Store your bike out of sight if you can. A garage is ideal, if you have one. Alternatively, make your bike as visible as possible – lots of people walking by will help to deter criminals.
- Lock up: Invest in a few different types of locks to immobilise your motorbike.
Find out more about safely securing your motorbike.