Van Insurance: Make a claim

What to do if you need to make a claim

If you need to make a claim on your van insurance, we're here to help you get it sorted as quickly as possible. Just follow our simple guide to making a claim.

What should I do if I need to make a claim on my van insurance?

Step 1: Get in touch

We hope you’re ok. This first step is to tell us all about it.

Call our claims team on: 0333 035 9003

Lines are open 24 hours a day. So whether it’s your fault or not, whatever type of accident you need to report (fire, theft, windscreen or malicious damage), our team are on hand to help.

What information will I need to make a claim?

Step 2: The details

When you call, please try to have the following information to hand:

  • Your policy details
  • Details of any other parties involved (registration, name, address, phone number)
  • Crime reference number (if applicable)
  • Details of any witnesses (if applicable)

It would also be useful if you could provide any photographs taken at the scene of the accident or of any damage to the vehicles involved.

Remember: You should not admit liability at the scene of an accident, until you’ve contacted your insurer.

What happens next?

Step 3: Let’s put it right

Don't worry, we’re on hand to make the process as quick and stress-free as possible. Our friendly team will quickly establish who is responsible for the accident and whether your van is covered.

For accidents that are your fault, we’ll take some details and put you directly in touch with your insurer, they’ll look after you from there. Our team will handle accidents where you are not at fault.

Need breakdown assistance?

Make sure you have breakdown cover by checking your policy documents. If so, simply give us a call or register your details online.

If you’re in the UK, call: 0333 035 9367
If you’re in the EU and have opted for EU cover, call: +44 1737 815 032

Our emergency helpline and online assistance tool are available 24/7 to those with breakdown cover. 

You can add breakdown cover to your existing Van Insurance policy mid-term, however only the UK Roadside Breakdown element of cover is available for the first 24 hours of your policy. If you add EU breakdown cover, any claims made within the first 10 days will not be covered.

FAQs - your questions answered

We will endeavour to get your claim settled as quickly as possible, our team should be able to give you some approximate timescales once they’ve taken all of your details.

Yes, but you’ll need to get an estimate and get it approved which could take some time. We’d recommend that you use one of our network of repairers, there’s likely to be at least one in your local area and you won’t have to get an estimate approved. This is because the repairers in our network have signed up to a range of service levels and provide guarantees on all work completed.

This depends on the garage you choose and the specifics of your policy. Most garages who provide a courtesy vehicle will provide it with their own insurance cover. It’s always worth checking this before driving away from the garage.

In some circumstances your insurer will provide a courtesy vehicle arranged through their approved repairer, but this will not apply to all types of claims. For instance, if your van is written off, stolen or damaged by fire, it is unlikely that a courtesy vehicle will be provided.

A policy excess is the amount of money you agreed, when taking out your policy, to pay towards the costs of repairing your vehicle.

You have to pay the excess to the garage when your vehicle is repaired whether the accident is your fault or not but you might be able to claim your excess back depending on the circumstances of your claim up to your chosen limit.

If the accident was your fault and you have our Excess Protection policy, you can make a claim to refund the excesses you have to pay in the event of an accident, fire, theft or vandalism claim.

Visit our claims website ( where you will be able to register your claim online. Here you can enter all the necessary details we need to settle your claim. We recommend you use the web link as you will need to post documents to us if you contact us by phone, which might cause delays. If you prefer to contact us by phone, please call Inter Partner Assistance S.A. UK Branch on 01737 334 033 to notify them of your excess claim. You will receive a claim form to complete and will be asked to send us copies of your documents.

If the accident wasn’t your fault and you have bought our Driver's Legal Protection policy, our solicitors will recover your excess along with any other out of pocket expenses from the responsible person’s insurance company. We will put you in touch with a solicitor who can arrange this for you when you call to make your claim.