Home insurance : Claims

Step 1. Before you call

It'll help if you have the following items to hand:

  • Policy documents - Don’t worry if they’re not immediately to hand, we can still help you.
  • Police crime reference number (if applicable) - If your property is stolen or maliciously damaged you’ll need to inform the police who will give you a crime reference number.
  • Photos, receipts or recent valuations if you have them - For items such as jewellery or other high-value items.
  • Remember! Don’t throw away any damaged contents, the evidence of damage may be required for your claim.

Step 2. Contact your insurer

If you know who your home insurer is, you can contact them directly:

  • Ageas 0345 122 3019
  • Allianz 0345 073 1114
  • Aviva 0345 030 6945
  • Axa 0330 024 6842
  • Broker Direct 01204 600 346
  • Covea 0330 024 2255
  • Geo 01302 303 670
  • Integra 01274 700 810
  • LV 0800 202 8464
  • L&G 0370 900 5565
  • Modus 0344 856 3816
  • Ocaso 0203 499 0183
  • Prestige 08000 327 327
  • Pen Underwriting 03330 100 790

Not sure who your insurer is?

Simply register or log in to your online account and the name of your insurer is shown on the main page.

Alternatively, if you received your documents by post, the name of your insurer can be found on the covering letter and on your policy schedule.

If you're still unable to locate your insurer, please call us on 0333 035 9002.

If you have the additional Home Emergency cover and need to make a claim against that, please call 0333 035 9383.

Step 3: What happens when I need to make a claim?

Let's put it right

Your insurer will take details of the claim and authorise the repair or replacement of your damaged or lost items. They will instruct approved people to provide the repair and replacement services and where it’s needed, they will appoint approved assessors to undertake an inspection and give the go ahead for the work.

Some more questions answered…

Can I use my own repairer?

If your house is in need of repair work, always speak to your insurer to agree this before any work is undertaken as your insurer may refuse to agree any incurred costs.

What is a policy excess?

A policy excess is the amount of money you agreed to pay towards the cost of a claim when you first took out your policy. It’s usually made up of a compulsory and voluntary figure and may differ depending on claim type. 

You can find your excess amount in your home policy schedule on “My Account” or your insurer will be able to confirm what this is for you when you call.

Do I have to pay the excess?

Yes you will need to pay the excess that applies to the section of cover you are claiming under i.e. buildings or contents or both. The amount will be confirmed in your policy documents and your Swinton branch can confirm these for you as well.