Second Home Insurance through Swinton

If you’ve invested in a second home, you’ll understand the importance of getting the right type of Second Home Insurance to give it the protection it needs. We can offer cover for various kinds of second homes throughout the UK, and we’ll do the hard work of comparing policies so you can choose the one that’s most suited to your needs.

We already arrange Home Insurance for homeowners across the country, so let our friendly team help you find cover for your second home. Plus, we’re here to answer any questions you might have about your Second Home Insurance, whether that’s over the phone, via Live Chat, or on our social media channels.


Why consider us for your Home Insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers so you can choose a policy that suits your needs and budget.
  • We're here to answer any questions - over the phone or via Live Chat
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We store your insurance documents in our handy online insurance hub so you can view them at any time.

Call us today

0333 035 9561

Second Home Insurance explained

If you’re still unsure about what Second Home Insurance is or covers, we’ve compiled a useful guide that should answer any questions you may have. If you have any further questions or would like to chat through anything in more detail please get in touch!

What is Second Home Insurance?

Put simply, Second Home Insurance offers protection for a property that isn’t your main residence. This could be a holiday home, or another property you live at when you work away from your family home. If it’s not your main residence, the likelihood is that you won’t be there very often to keep an eye on things, which could put the property at further risk.

Does owning a second home affect my Home Insurance policy?

As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to tell us what you use your property for, i.e. if it’s your main residence, a second home or a holiday home. If you don’t tell us the true usage of the property, it could invalidate an insurance claim and your policy could be cancelled. In turn, the policy for your main residence could also be cancelled or voided.

Having the right insurance policy in place for your second home will give you that extra peace of mind when you’re not there and help to protect your investment.

What’s covered by Second Home Insurance?

Second Home Insurance is much like regular Home Insurance in that it’ll protect your property’s structure, and things like walls, windows, and any permanent fixtures, such as fitted kitchens. If you choose to insure the contents of your second home too, you’ll also be covered for theft or damage to your belongings.

Note that your cover will be reduced if your second home is left unoccupied for more than 30-60 days, depending on your insurer, and you will not be able to claim for benefits such as freezer cover, loss of keys, alternative accommodation, or any accidental damage. You should check your policy documentation for further details.

How much does Second Home Insurance cost?

Safeguarding your home, whether it’s your main residence or your second home, is priceless: It’s hard to beat that feeling of reassurance when you’re not there. When it comes to the cost of insuring your second home, it varies by insurer, so get in touch and our dedicated team will try to help you find a suitable deal for your needs.

Am I still covered if I rent out my second home?

If you rent out your second home, you may need Landlord Insurance rather than Second Home Insurance. Whether you have just one property you’re letting to tenants or a property portfolio, we have a range of policies that can be tailored to suit your needs. If your property is used for short term lets, e.g. for Airbnb, get in touch with our commercial property team.


What if I live in my second home more often than my first home?

If you own more than one home, determining which one is your main residence can be difficult – generally speaking, it’s where you spend most of your time, and where the majority of your belongings are kept. From an insurer’s perspective, a main residence is what you consider to be the family home, and is where your car is registered etc. Outside of this, other properties such as holiday homes and weekday/weekend homes used for work are considered to be second homes.

How long can my second home be left unoccupied?

Your second home shouldn’t be left unoccupied for more than 30-60 days, depending on your insurer, as is the case with your main residence, and it must be checked inside and out every seven days – if you’re unable to do this yourself, ask a trusted friend or family member to check it on your behalf.

Can I get standard Contents Insurance for a second home?

As well as Buildings Insurance, which will protect against damage to the physical structure of your second home, you may also want to consider Contents Insurance. Contents Insurance will cover the cost of replacing things like furniture, electronics, and personal items in the event of burglary or damage caused by another kind of peril.

Note that your contents cover will be reduced if your second home if left unoccupied for more than 30-60 days, depending on your insurer – when you consider your belongings might be damaged or destroyed by an incident such as escape of water, it underlines the importance of frequently checking up on your second property.

While Contents Insurance isn’t a legal requirement, its purpose is to protect you from unexpected losses and costs – you might be surprised by the value of your belongings!  Use our Contents Calculator to get a better understanding of how much your possessions are worth.

Unoccupied Homes – things to consider

It’s a condition of your policy to keep the heating on at a minimum of 15 degrees, ensure all doors and windows are securely locked,  switch on any alarms, and make sure that any keys left in the property are left out of sight.

With regards to general security, an unoccupied property is thought to be at increased risk of break-ins and squatting, along with damage caused to the property due to escape of water etc. This is why your second home should be checked as frequently as possible.

Call us today

0333 035 9561

Insurance Made Easy: Accidental Damage

Accidental damage cover is an optional extra which you can purchase on top of your standard home insurance, which can enable you to claim against accidental damage to your house or belongings.

Insurance Made Easy: Lock Replacement & Repair

The locks on your windows and doors are there to keep your home secure, so when they need to be changed  it’s usually a priority. But what will a typical home insurance policy cover you for when it comes to paying for locks to be replaced or repaired?

Home insurance to suit your needs