Let us help find cover for your listed home

If you're fortunate enough to live in one of the UK's listed buildings, you'll know that finding insurance is one of the extra responsibilities that comes with ownership. Swinton's home insurance could cover grades 1, 2, or 2* in England and Wales and grades A, B, C in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Swinton currently insures thousands of UK home policy holders and our team could help you find home insurance for your own particular circumstances.

Three simple options to cover your home

If you’re looking for a clear and simple way to cover your buildings or contents, we offer three cover options: Essentials, Classic and Premier - you just need to choose the one that’s right for you.

Find out more about our home insurance cover options >

Call us today


Why choose us for your Home Insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers to give you the lowest price we get back.
  • We're here to answer any questions - over the phone or via Live Chat
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We store your insurance documents in our handy online insurance hub so you can view them at any time.

Home insurance - useful information


Grades of listed buildings explained

Buildings that are of special architectural or historic interest are often put on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, which is commonly known as being ‘listed’.

The older and rarer a building is, the more likely it is to be listed and you can search on Historic England’s website for the official list.

For example, all buildings built before 1700 are listed, though buildings that are less than 30-years-old are normally only listed if they are under threat or of outstanding quality, like the iconic Lloyd’s building in central London.

A listed building is protected under planning law and cannot be demolished, extended, or altered without special permission from your local authority Conservation Officer.

There are three different grades of listing that a building can be given, depending on its architectural and historic importance:

  • Grade I listed buildings are of exceptional interest, such as Tower Bridge in London, this type account for 2.5% of all listings
  • Grade II* listed buildings are particularly important buildings with special interest, like Manchester Town Hall, this type account for 5.5% of all listings
  • Grade II listed buildings are of special interest, worth every effort to preserve them, like the BT Tower in London, this type account for 92% of all listings

In Scotland the system is very similar, but the grades are known as A, B and C, while in Northern Ireland they are known as A, B+ and B.

How to maintain a listed property

Owning and maintaining a listed building comes with extra responsibility. Here are some things to be aware of:

  • The local planning authority’s conservation officer has the power to force the owner to maintain a listed building if they fear it is falling into disrepair
  • The conservation officer can insist that any repairs use materials that match the building’s historic design, which can make maintenance of listed buildings more expensive than unlisted buildings
  • In extreme cases, a local authority can even reclaim a property that they think is not being looked after properly
  • Also, if consent is not obtained from the conservation officer then they can insist that any completed work is reversed
  • Conservation officers are also a source of practical and technical advice on how best to maintain listed buildings

Historic England, the public body that looks after England's historic environment, is a good source of advice about maintaining a listed building.

Please note that insurance cover can vary from one insurance provider to another so you should check your own insurance documentation for exact details of the cover already held.