Policies for high levels of home and contents cover

Whether your main home is a penthouse apartment, Victorian terrace or even a Georgian manor house Swinton could help you arrange a home insurance policy for homes worth over £500,000 or with contents up to £150,000.

At Swinton we always work hard to find great deals for our customers, and we already arrange insurance for thousands of home policy holders in the UK, so our team have the experience to help you find the cover your house deserves.

Three simple options to cover your home

If you’re looking for a clear and simple way to cover your buildings or contents, we offer three cover options: Essentials, Classic and Premier - you just need to choose the one that’s right for you.

Find out more about our home insurance cover options >

Call us today


Why choose us for your Home Insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers to give you the lowest price we get back.
  • We're here to answer any questions - over the phone or via Live Chat
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We store your insurance documents in our handy online insurance hub so you can view them at any time.

Home insurance - useful information


What is high-value home insurance?

As the name would suggest, high-value home insurance policies provide cover for properties that are worth significantly more than the average home.

Do you live in an expensive home, or do you keep valuables worth a lot of money on the premises? If so, you’ll want to make sure you’re fully covered in case your home or its contents are damaged or your belongings are stolen. Standard home insurance policies may not provide a high enough level of cover, so you may need specialist high-net-worth home insurance.

Home insurance is made up of two separate elements, buildings insurance and contents insurance, and that’s the same for high-value home insurance.

Buildings insurance

This covers the cost of re-building or repairing the structure of your home if it’s damaged or destroyed. You should make sure you insure your home for the amount of money it would take to re-build it completely from scratch.

Typically, a higher-value building will cost more to re-build than the average property, but this is not always the case. For example, a small house in central London might have a significantly higher market value than a much larger house elsewhere, but it could well be cheaper to re-build.

These days, many standard home insurance policies offer a maximum re-build value of £500,000 as standard. If the cost of re-building your home would be higher than this, make sure you check that your policy offers a maximum sum that is high enough.

If you’re not sure how much the re-build value of your house is, you can ask a trustworthy building firm or a surveyor to give you an estimate.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers items in your home that are not permanent fixtures which can include furniture, household goods, technology and other personal belongings.

Whatever the value of your contents, it’s always vital to make sure you calculate the cost to replace everything if the worst were to happen. If you have items that are individually very valuable, such as fine art, antiques or collectibles, you may need to buy cover for these under a separate, specialist policy.

Be sure to check the list of exclusions on your policy so that you’re sure it covers all your needs.

Valuing your contents

It’s essential to give your insurer an accurate valuation of your possessions, as underestimating them could mean facing a short-fall in the amount you get back in the case of damage or loss or potentially the insurer could decline the claim.

It’s important to be aware that the value of items can change over time – sometimes rapidly. Jewellery and collectibles are examples of valuables that can gain value very quickly, so it’s worth getting these valued every two years at least to make sure your cover is appropriate.

Here are some tips on how to value your home's contents:

  • Go from room to room making a list of all your possessions - don’t forget attics, basements, sheds and garages
  • Value each item by checking the receipt, or look for a price online
  • Don’t miss out all the items that are easily overlooked, like rugs, curtains, household appliances, clothes or shoes
  • Tell your insurer about any particularly valuable items to make sure they are covered
  • Update the list each year before renewing your policy
  • If you buy anything valuable after taking out your policy, make sure you tell your insurer

At Swinton, we have created a simple and helpful Contents Calculator to help you get a better understanding of the value of your possessions.

Please note that insurance cover can vary from one insurance provider to another so you should check your own insurance documentation for exact details of the cover already held.