Holiday Home Insurance

Cover your holiday home in England, Scotland or Wales with a tailored insurance policy from our panel of specialist insurers.

Holiday Home Insurance from Swinton

Whether it’s a cottage in Cornwall or a Herefordshire hideaway, we understand that your holiday home is your pride and joy. A holiday home isn’t just an investment – it’s part of the family, and our dedicated team will help you find the right level of Holiday Home Insurance for your needs.

In much the same way as regular Home Insurance, which we’ve helped to arrange for thousands of homeowners across the UK, our Holiday Home Insurance will help protect your property against things like damage caused to its structure, and the cost of repairing or rebuilding it.

Why choose us for your Home Insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers to give you the lowest price we get back.
  • We're here to answer any questions - over the phone or via Live Chat
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We store your insurance documents in our handy online insurance hub so you can view them at any time.

Call us today

0333 035 9382

Holiday Home Insurance

If you’re looking to purchase Holiday Home Insurance but still want to know more about this product and what it covers, we’ve pulled together a handy list of questions and answers that we hope will help you learn more. Our helpful team are also available via phone or social media if you would like to chat through anything in more detail.

What is Holiday Home Insurance?

Holiday Home Insurance offers protection for a second home that’s used for holidays and breaks away from your main residence. From an insurer’s point of view, it’s thought that your holiday home could be at greater risk of damage or burglary, as you’re not around as often to keep an eye on things.

What’s covered by Holiday Home Insurance?

Much like normal Home Insurance, Holiday Home Insurance will cover the cost of repairing damage to your property’s actual structure, along with things like windows, and any permanent fixtures, such as fitted bathrooms. Your belongings will be also be covered if you choose to insure the contents of your holiday home too.

With Swinton, if your holiday home is left unoccupied for more than 60 days, your cover will be reduced.

Also, if you want to use your holiday home for short term lets, e.g. for Airbnb, you should contact our commercial property team, who’ll be able to help.

What can I do if something happens to my holiday home?

Should anything happen to your holiday home, you will need to contact your insurer directly. Please familiarise yourself with the ‘Making a claim’ section of your Holiday Home Insurance policy – this will give you more details on the sort of information the claims team will require, and help them to handle your claim efficiently.

What makes a property a holiday home?

A holiday home is different from your main residence as you’ll generally spend less time there. While your main residence is the one you consider to be your family home, where your car is registered, and where most of your personal possessions are kept, your holiday home is used more intermittently.

How long can I leave my holiday home unoccupied for?

You need to let us know if your holiday home will be unoccupied for more than 60 days and every seven days you must check your holiday home both inside and outside for any signs of damage – if you’re unable to do this, ask a trusted friend/family member.

Can I get standard Contents Insurance for my holiday home?

While Buildings Insurance will protect against damage to the physical structure of your holiday home, you should also think about investing in Contents Insurance, which will cover the cost of replacing your belongings in the event of burglary, or damage caused by another type of peril, e.g. fire, or escape of water.

Am I covered if I leave my holiday home unoccupied?

If your holiday home is left unoccupied for more than 60 days, your contents cover will be reduced and you will not be able to claim for benefits such as freezer cover, loss of keys, alternative accommodation or any accidental damage. Please check your policy documentation for full information. Considering the issues you could face, such as escape of water that may damage or destroy your belongings, it’s paramount that your holiday home is checked on a regular basis.

Tips for unoccupied Holiday Homes

When you’re away from your holiday home, you should keep the temperature at a minimum constant of 15 degrees, or turn off gas and water at the mains.

It sounds obvious, but you should also ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked, and any security devices, such as burglar alarms or CCTV, are activated.

You may not have a great deal of personal belongings at your holiday home, but you might be surprised at how much they add up to: Our Contents Calculator will give you a greater understanding of how much they’re worth.

Can I insure a holiday home in any country?

At Swinton, we offer Holiday Home Insurance for properties in England, Wales and Scotland.

Call us today

0333 035 9382

Home insurance - useful information

Home Contents Calculator

Get a better view of the value of those things that truly make your house a home with our Home Contents Calculator tool. Simply add all the rooms in your home and your possessions, and you’ll be given an overall summary of the contents of your home.

Insurance Made Easy: Accidental Damage

Accidental damage cover is an optional extra which you can purchase on top of your standard home insurance, which can enable you to claim against accidental damage to your house or belongings.

Insurance Made Easy: Lock Replacement & Repair

The locks on your windows and doors are there to keep your home secure, so when they need to be changed  it’s usually a priority. But what will a typical home insurance policy cover you for when it comes to paying for locks to be replaced or repaired?

Home insurance to suit all your needs