Landlord Home Emergency Cover

24/7 access to professional help in the case of an emergency in your let property, available as an option for all Swinton Residential Landlord Insurance policyholders, excluding commercial premises.


Based on reviews of all products

What is Landlord Home Emergency cover?

Our Landlord Home Emergency cover is specifically designed for landlords as an optional extra to your main Buy-to-Let Insurance policy, it can only be applied to residential properties, we don't offer it for commercial properties. By adding it to your policy, you're covered for an array of home related emergencies that your tenants may experience. Emergencies seem to happen out of nowhere and can be extremely frustrating when you realise you've spent money you didn't need to.

What's covered with Landlord Home Emergency?

Primary heating system

Emergency work needed due to the breakdown of your boiler or other primary heating system, which results in the loss of heating or hot water in your let property. Excluding boilers over 15 years of age.

Boiler replacement contribution

Up to 50% contribution towards a like-for-like replacement boiler, in the case that yours is deemed by us as beyond economical repair. 

Gas supply

Emergency work that's needed to be done due to a gas leak, following the advice and/or remedial work by your local gas board.

Internal electricity

Emergency work that's needed due to the electrical failure of at least one complete circuit, which can't be resolved by carefully resetting the fuse box, and where not more appropriately resolved by the regional electricity network supplier. External lighting is excluded.

Plumbing and drainage

Emergency work following damage to or failure of the plumbing and drainage system.

Pest infestation

Emergency work following an infestation as a result of wasp nests, hornet nests, house mice, field mice, rats or cockroaches.

Water supply

Emergency work following a water supply system failure to your let property's kitchen or bathroom.


Emergency work following damage or failure of the external lock, external door, or external window, which would result in the main living areas of the property being insecure and easily accessible to intruders.


Emergency work following sudden and unforeseen damage to the roof of your let property which is causing internal damage. If damage is caused by severe weather, please be aware that a contractor may not be able to attend until the weather conditions are safe for them to do so. In the scenario that the damage to your roof is in excess of your claim limit, you will need to claim from your let property insurance policy instead.

Landlord Home Emergency cover in detail

Choose from two levels of cover:

 Landlord Boiler BreakdownLandlord Home Emergency Plus+
Cost of policy£39.98£69.99
Limit per claim £500£500
Maximum annual level of cover£1,000£1,500
Primary heating system  
Boiler replacement contribution   
Plumbing and drainage   
Internal electricity   
Gas supply   
Water supply   
Pest infestation  


Get in touch with the Landlord Insurance team today:

Get a quote online0333 035 9986

We do all the hard work for you

Why choose Swinton Landlord Home Emergency cover?

  •  24-hour emergency helpline - Help and advice is available to you if you need it.
  • 'Beyond economical repair' cover for boilers - If your boiler can't be repaired economically, you'll get up to a maximum of 50% of the market value towards a like for like boiler.
  • Potential to save some money - no excess charges to pay and no increase on renewal premiums following a claim
  • Cover for emergency costs - up to £1,500 a year, with a maximum £500 cover for each call out.

Making a claim 

(245 hours a day/ 365 days a year)

Repairs are covered up to the value of £500 (including VAT), including labour and parts, as long as the callout meets the policy requirements - log in to your customer account to access your policy documents.

Please note that claims within the first 48 hours of your policy aren't covered, renewals benefit from continuous cover, Cover is provided for your let property that is used for domestic purposes only in the United Kingdom. 

1. Call our emergency helpline

If you identify a home emergency, such as one of the scenarios listed, please call 01384 884 040 as soon as possible. 

2. Provide us with the details of your emergency

When you call, our team will ask you some questions about your emergency to see how we can help. 

3. Wait for help to arrive

Your callout is arranged for you, so all your tenants need to do is wait at home until a professional arrives. 


A Landlord's responsibility regarding upkeep and maintenance 

As a property owner, it's your responsibility to undertake regular general maintenance of the equipment in your property, including carrying our regular servicing of appliances per the manufacturer's recommendations. Please remember if you don't do this, it may invalidate your cover.

For example: The manufacturer of the boiler in your property recommends a yearly general check of the boiler. It would be your responsibility to organise the check, as well as any repairs or fixes that are needed. It wouldn't fall on the tenants to remind you of the maintenance check. 

These general checks are a good place to start:

  • Gas safety. Remember that you're required to give your tenants a certificate of safety.
  • Electrical installation check. This is carried out by a registered 'Part P' electrician at least every 5 years.
  • Smoke detectors. Ensuring they are working as they should, including carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Fire safety risk assessment. This must be done by a professional, not by the landlord.
  • Exterior of the property. Which includes but isn't limited to roofing, flooring, walls, windows and doors.

A tenant would be responsible for day-to-day upkeep of the property, such as cleanliness and keeping the home in good condition. While wear and tear over time is widely recognised as something to expect, tenants should be notifying you of problems which need fixing.

How you can reduce the risk of home emergencies as a landlord

Reducing the risk of a home emergency is something both the landlord and the tenant can do for the property. You may not be able to avoid emergencies completely, but there are things that can reduce the risk of any damage.

As a landlord

Keep your boiler in good health

A boiler should be checked by a professional at least once a year to spot any concerns before they turn into problems. If this isn't done you may not be able to get cover if you need to make a claim.

It's also important that tenants keep the boiler air vents clear of any clutter, so that the boiler can be ventilated properly.

Reduce the risk of frozen pipes in winter

Frozen water in pipes can cause blockages that damage the central heating system. A way to minimise the risk is to install foam pipe insulation where it isn't already present, as well as turning up the heating on your boiler to stop condensation building up.

Keep the exterior of the property in good condition

Routine checks on areas of the property such as the roof, flooring, fencing and gutter could help you spot potential issues before they turn into emergencies.

Address electrical problems

Frequent fuse trips might be an early sign of an electrical issue in your home. By having a professional electrician investigate this early, you can prevent it from becoming a more significant problem down the line.

The tenant

Minimise the risk of pest infestation

Pest infestation can be expensive and hard to manage. Your tenants need to make sure they properly dispose of waste, wash recyclable of any leftover food, and keep floors clean of fallen food.

Avoid blocking pipes with fat and grease

Thicker liquids have a hard time flowing down drains and can quickly build up and cause blockage. If your tenants have cooked food that's left a lot of grease, ask them to clean it with a paper towel before washing up. 


Helpful guides

Insurance options to suit your needs