How to make your own mulled wine in 5 simple steps
20th November 2019
If sitting round a crackling fire with a glass of warm mulled wine sounds good to you, why not try making your own Gluhwein this winter? This easy-to-follow recipe is a mouth-watering alternative to the Yuletide drink that you’d find at your local Christmas markets. Simply follow these 5 steps and enjoy the aromas of festive spices and sweet taste of homemade mulled wine.
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 60g demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Grated nutmeg
- 1 half of a large orange
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 60ml gin – this is optional
Preparation and cooking time approximately takes less than 40 minutes.
- Pour all the red wine into a saucepan.
- Add half of the large orange to the saucepan, along with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmug and bayleaf.
- Gently heat the mixture until the sugar has dissolved. Have a little taste to see if you’d like the wine sweeter – if you do, just add more sugar.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and if you’d like to add the gin, stir it in gently.
- Strain your mulled wine into heatproof glasses and serve straight away.
Full details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mulledwine_8156