Non-Standard Construction

Cover for homes not made of bricks and mortar

With such a range of different styles available to the home owner today, there's every chance you live in one of the homes in the UK which is classed as non-standard. That's where Swinton's home insurance could help. Considering everything from wattle and daub properties to state-of-the-art eco homes and steel or timber-framed houses.

Our team at Swinton could help you get home insurance which is right for you.

Three simple options to cover your home


If you’re looking for a clear and simple way to cover your buildings or contents, we offer three cover options: Essentials, Classic and Premier - you just need to choose the one that’s right for you.

Find out more about our home insurance cover options >


Call us today

0330 035 9378

Why choose us for your Home Insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers to give you the lowest price we get back.
  • We're here to answer any questions - over the phone or via Live Chat
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We store your insurance documents in our handy online insurance hub so you can view them at any time.


Home insurance - useful information

Insurance Made Easy: Accidental Damage

Accidental damage cover is an optional extra which you can purchase on top of your standard home insurance, which can enable you to claim against accidental damage to your house or belongings.

Insurance Made Easy: Lock Replacement & Repair

The locks on your windows and doors are there to keep your home secure, so when they need to be changed  it’s usually a priority. But what will a typical home insurance policy cover you for when it comes to paying for locks to be replaced or repaired?

Types of non-standard construction houses

In the UK, most houses are built with brick or stone walls and slate or tile covered roofs. However, there are many other ways to build houses, often referred to as non-standard construction methods. These include:

  • Timber frame - these use a wooden structure to support the walls and roof of the house, with thin walls made of another material such as bricks, boards, slabs or tiles
  • Steel frame - these houses are also supported by an internal structure surrounded by a thinner ‘skin’ of another material, except that steel rather than wood is the material holding the building up
  • Pre-fabricated houses - these are built in a different location before being assembled on-site. Wood and steel are common materials in this approach presently, as they are lighter and therefore more portable than concrete, bricks or stone however many older ‘pre-fab’ houses post WW2 were made from pre-cast reinforced concrete panels with steel which were then bolted together

Please note that insurance cover can vary from one insurance provider to another so you should check your own insurance documentation for exact details of the cover already held.

Home insurance to suit your needs