What is Van Hire Excess Insurance?
Van Hire Excess Insurance is a type of policy that reimburses the excess charges on claims you make on an insurance policy for a hired van.
Excess charges on rented vehicles like vans can be expensive, and without an excess insurance policy in place, you might have to pay out more than you can reasonably afford.
With Van Hire Excess insurance, you can claim back the excess cost up to the maximum level of cover. It means the insurer will reimburse you the amount you have to pay out.
Our Van Hire Excess Insurance is available for residents of the UK and the Isle of Man.
What is classed as a van?
Your vehicle can be classed as a van if it meets the following criteria:
- Any single van not exceeding 3.5 tonnes unladen weight
- Hired under a short-term contract from a rental company or agency.
- Has a maximum of 8 seats (plus the driver)
What’s covered by our Van Hire Excess Insurance?
- Excess on claims — Cover against excess costs of up to £6,500, in total, if your hire van is damaged or stolen.
- Cover for drivers aged 21 to 84 inclusive – Insured drivers between 21 and 84 years old are eligible for excess insurance.
- Additional drivers — Cover for up to seven additional drivers, as long as they’re named in your rental agreement.
- 60-day rental periods — Covers single trips for up to 60 continuous days.
- Misfuelling and key cover — Cover for each, up to £500 per claim
- Flat battery cover — Covers flat battery claims for up to £250 per claim
- Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess charges for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.
- Tyres and windscreen cover — Covers the excess on claims for the repair or replacements of your tyres and windscreen. Also covers damage to the windows, headlights, undercarriage, and roof.
What’s not covered?
- Van rentals where the Van Hire Excess Insurance policyholder doesn’t match the name of the lead driver on the rental agreement.
- Vans rented for commercial purposes; Van Hire Excess Insurance covers non-commercial use only.
- Policies purchased after the collection of your rental van.
- Vans worth more than £50,000 or which are more than 10 years old.
- Vans hired outside the UK and the Isle of Man..
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Most UK rental agreements include these but always check with your van hire company.
What other types of Hire Excess Insurance are there?
Looking to hire a car rather than a van? You can choose from several Car Hire Excess Insurance products instead.
UK Car Hire Excess Insurance
Even if you’re hiring a car in the UK, there’s always a risk that the unexpected could occur on familiar soil. Save yourself from excess charges of up to £6,500 on our single trip cover for up to 60 days, or annual multi-trip cover for
several individual trips up to 60 days at a time, per year.
Includes misfuelling, car key, and flat battery cover, each up to £500 per claim and to a maximum of £2,000 per policy period. Also provides cover for up to seven additional drivers named on the rental agreement.
Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance
Planning on hiring a car in Europe? Don’t take a chance on expensive excess costs, our single trip and annual multi-trip Europe Car Hire Excess Insurance can be taken out 364 days in advance and will reimburse excess costs of up to £6,500.
Provides cover for up to seven additional drivers as long as they’re named on the rental agreement.
Worldwide Car Hire Excess InsuranceIf you’re planning to drive further afield, our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance will reimburse excess charges up to a total of £6,500 on trips in North America, Asia, and more. Available for single and annual multi-trip policies.
Not all rental companies will offer you the same level of cover. You can choose our Worldwide Car Hire Excess Insurance plus Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) & Supplemental Liability (SLI) policy to make sure you’re protected. You’ll receive:
- Excess insurance
- CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance
- SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance)
To arrange Van Hire Excess Insurance get a quote online
Why choose us to insure your van hire excess?There are plenty of reasons why you should choose us for Van Hire Excess Insurance:
- A high level of cover — Cover excess up to the value of £6,500 in total per year.
- Add additional drivers to the policy — Cover up to seven additional drivers named on your rental agreement.
- Flexible rental periods — Choose your level of cover for single trips of up to 60 consecutive days.
- Multiple benefits included as standard — Includes cover for misfuelling, lost keys, and flat batteries.
Frequently asked questions about UK Van Hire Excess Insurance
We cannot cover camper vans or minibuses under our Van Hire Excess Insurance. We also can’t cover any vans:
- with an unladen weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes
- worth more than £50,000
- older than 10 years
- that are for commercial use
If you are having issues accessing your documents, please contact us with your policy number.