Motor Excess Insurance

Get peace of mind knowing your excess charges will be reimbursed. Choose between £250, £500 and £750 cover, starting from just £35.

Available for UK and Isle of Man residents only.


Based on reviews of all products

What is Motor Excess Insurance?

Motor Excess Insurance is insurance that will sit beside your main car insurance. Excess insurance can make sure that you're reimbursed for the excess charges you would need to pay if you were to make a claim on your car insurance, for claims as a result of fire, theft, vandalism, or an accident which was partially or entirely your fault.

What's an excess? An excess is the amount of money you are required to pay when you make a claim on your policy. Simply put, your excess is the amount of money that you agree to put forward towards a claim, with your insurer covering the remaining costs.

For example, if your car requires £600 of repair work after a theft claim and you have an insurance policy with a £200 excess, your car insurer would pay £400, and you would pay your £200 excess charge. With Motor Excess Protection, you would be reimbursed the £200 excess you had to pay, so essentially you would pay nothing towards the repairs.


What are the benefits of Excess Insurance?

When you make a claim on your motor insurance, you'll need to pay a set excess fee which is noted when you take out a policy. However, if you have excess insurance in place too, you'll be reimbursed up to your maximum excess cover amount after you've paid your excess fee on the claim.

It means you can protect your finances from costly excess charges that you'd otherwise not receive back if you don't have excess insurance in place.


How much can I cover my excess for?

With our insure4excess Car Hire Excess Insurance policies, you can set the maximum amount that your excess protection policy will pay out — this will be either £250, £500 or £750.

If you need to claim on your car insurance, you’ll need to make two separate claims: one to pay for the repair or replacement of your car, and one to be reimbursed for the excess you paid.


What determines the cost of my excess?

Your excess is made up of two figures. The first part is the compulsory excess, which is a non-negotiable amount set by your insurance company, based on a variety of factors including your age and the type of car on your policy. The second part is the voluntary excess, which you can set yourself. 

For example, if the compulsory excess on your policy is £100, and you set your voluntary excess at £100, you would pay the first £200 towards a claim.

Normally, the lower you set your excess, the more expensive your car insurance policy is likely to be.



To arrange Motor Excess Insurance, get a quote online

Why consider insure4excess at Swinton for your Motor Excess Insurance?

With Excess Insurance through insure4excess at Swinton, you’ll receive the following benefits:

  • Excess insurance — Cover against excess costs of up to £250, £500 or £750 depending on your level of cover per policy year if your car is damaged or stolen.
  • Available for drivers aged 18 and over
  • Additional drivers — Cover for up to seven additional drivers, as long as they’re 18 or over and named on your motor insurance policy.
  • Fire, theft, and vandalism cover — Covers excess fees for claims resulting from damage by fire, theft, and malicious damage.

What types of Excess Insurance are available from insure4excess at Swinton?


Motor Excess Insurance

Motor Excess Insurance will reimburse the cost of your excess if you need to make a claim on your Car Insurance, up to your chosen level of cover. Without it, if you’re found to be at fault, you won't be able to receive any of your excess charge back.

If you get into an accident and suffer damage to a car that you own, with excess protection, you’ll be repaid your excess, up to £250, £500 or £750 (depending on your level of cover) within the policy year.

Get a quote


Lifestyle Excess Insurance

Lifestyle Excess Insurance covers your excess on the following types of policies:

It’s available to permanent residents of the UK and the Isle of Man. 

With insure4excess at Swinton, you can purchase Lifestyle Excess Insurance as a standalone in addition to your existing insurance policies.

Lifestyle Excess Insurance


Car Hire Excess Insurance

Whether you’re planning to drive in the UK or further afield, we have a range of cover options to suit your trip:

Car Hire Insurance


Van Hire Excess Insurance

We also offer excess protection on rental vans with our Van Hire Excess Insurance. You’ll be able to claim back excess costs up to a maximum of £6,500.

Our Van Hire Excess Insurance is only available for single trip policies and residents of the UK and Isle of Man.

Van Hire Insurance

Car insurance to suit your needs

Useful Guides