Buildings cover made clear and simple

You invest a lot of time and money to get your home just right, so it makes sense to protect your investment with the right home insurance. Swinton's buildings insurance will cover you should the unexpected happen, as well as providing cover for temporary accommodation and legal liability.

Swinton has over 60 years of experience providing home insurance to our customers. We can compare quotes from our panel of specially selected home insurance companies in minutes, saving you the time and effort of searching for yourself. So let Swinton do the hard work and challenge us to find you a great deal.

Swinton offers three simple levels of Home Insurance cover


Covers you for the basics.


A great level of cover to suit most homes, with all the benefits of Essentials, plus more.


Extra features and higher limits over and above our Classic cover for added peace of mind.

If you’re looking for a clear and simple way to cover your buildings or contents, we offer three cover options: Essentials, Classic and Premier - you just need to choose the one that’s right for you.

Find out more about our home insurance cover options >

Get a quote your way. Call us, buy online or pop in


Why choose us for your home insurance?

  • We’ll compare quotes from our specially selected panel of insurers to give you the lowest price we get back.
  • We're here to answer any questions - visit your nearest branch or speak to us over the phone.
  • You can tailor your insurance with optional additional cover to suit your personal needs.
  • We have an online insurance hub where your documents will be stored and you’ll be able to make changes to your policy.

Home insurance - useful information


Watch our quick guide to Home Emergency Cover


What is buildings insurance?

When people refer to home insurance, they are often talking about two separate types of policy – buildings and contents insurance. This page will help you learn all about buildings insurance, why you need it and what it covers.

Buildings insurance protects you against damage to the physical structure of your home. In other words, it covers things like your walls, roof and windows. It also covers any permanent fixtures in the home which cannot realistically be removed and taken elsewhere, such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms.

It’s not a legal requirement to have buildings insurance, but if you have a mortgage, your provider will usually insist on it. You’ll need to keep the building insured until you have paid off the loan.

Even if you own your own home, it’s still important to consider taking out a buildings insurance policy so you’re covered if your home is damaged and you need to repair or rebuild following an insured peril.

What if I rent?

If you rent your home, the buildings insurance is normally your landlord’s responsibility. But, you will still need to buy a contents insurance policy if you want your possessions to be covered against things like burglary.

Specialist buildings insurance

Homes come in all shapes and sizes these days and at Swinton we recognise that different types of property may require different types of cover. If your home is a little out of the ordinary we can search our panel of specially selected insurers to arrange insurance cover for:

  • Your home is built from non-standard materials, for example a timber frame.
  • You live in a listed building. You can find out if you do by visiting the following sites:
    • English Heritage (England)
    • Cadw (Wales)
    • Historic Scotland (Scotland)
  • Your home is unoccupied for more than 60 days a year.
  • Your property is used as a holiday home.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance covers you for the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it’s damaged or destroyed by an ‘insured peril’ which is a specific risk or cause of loss named in your policy. This will include:

  • The structure of your home, including the roof, walls and windows
  • All other permanent fixtures and fittings such as your bathroom suite and kitchen units

A typical buildings insurance policy will cover you against damage to your home as a result of things such as:

  • Escape of water resulting from things like water bursting from pipes or appliances
  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Floods
  • Storms
  • Subsidence
  • Falling trees
  • Riots

Again, building insurance does not cover any of the possessions inside your home – for those, you need contents insurance.

When you apply for a home insurance policy, you will need to tell the insurer the value of your home. This will either be the market value or rebuild cost depending on the insurer so ensure you exactly what they want to know before putting the figure in your application.

If your home is damaged or destroyed, the costs of your buildings insurance cover, up to the sum insured in your policy, will include:

  • Re-building or repairing the structure, including things like flooring and plasterwork
  • Drying the property out after flooding or escape of water
  • Replacing or repairing bathroom suites and fitted kitchens
  • Temporary accommodation if you’re unable to stay in your home while the work is happening – normally for a specified time period as documented in your policy

Please note that insurance cover can vary from one insurance provider to another so you should check your own insurance documentation for exact details of the cover already held.